Apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU
You can use this service to get settled status or pre-settled status. At the moment you can only apply if you:
- are from the European Union (EU) or a family member of someone from the EU
- you belong to one of the groups taking part in a pilot of the scheme
- use the Home Office’s 'EU Exit: ID Document Check' Android app to confirm your identity
We’ve put these restrictions in place so we can improve the service before it opens fully in March 2019.
You do not need to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU if you’re an Irish citizen. You’ll have the same rights as you do now.
How it works
Prove your identity
Use the Home Office app to scan the electronic information in your passport.
Answer questions about yourself
We’ll use your answers to confirm you've been resident. In most cases, this means you won't have to provide any evidence.
Check your result
We'll tell you what status you'll be considered for based on your answers. You can accept this result if you agree, or add evidence of your residence if you disagree.
How much it costs
- £65 for adults
- £32.50 for children under 16
If you have documented permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain, you can apply for free.
How long it takes to receive a decision
Completing the application process usually takes 30 minutes.
To find out how long it's taking us to make decisions at the moment, see our current processing times for applications. This only gives an indication of how long it may take to get a decision. It may take more or less time, depending on the specific checks we need to do on your application.
You'll get an email when we have made a decision on your application.
Start your application
You must be in the UK to apply.
You will need:
- an email address
- your current passport or biometric residence card
- an Android phone (such as a Samsung, Google or Sony phone) with 'contactless' - this means you can use your phone to pay for things
How to check if your phone will work
To start your application, download the Home Office app from the Google Play Store.
Continue your application
If you've already used the Android app, you can continue your application online.Continue application.